The Torment Of a Lingering Summer

Again that dazzle, the glare which can kill,
As the sun pops its head above the green hill;
And I wonder, how long has it been,
Since a morning I had seen,
Which lulled me back to sleep,
When I saw her kindly light seep
Quietly into my arbor, with a step soft and shy
From a benign sun cruising a cool, azure sky;
When my heart would leap and say,
What a roseate morning! what a beautiful day!

I remember the sweet October days
When the mellow light, of the sun's gentle rays
Lit up the land; and its plants and trees
Swayed in the cadence of the fragrant breeze;
When the autumnal air lured us out of doors,
And the birds into gardens, the cattle to the moors

But what ails dear October this year,
That the light is blinding and sticky the air;
That mornings greet awakened eyes
With flaming windows and fervid skies;
That flowers droop, and wan are the leaves,
And the birds gasp for air hiding in the eaves;
That an irate sun at the summit of its power,
With withering glares makes the world cower?

With winter ready for a soothing encore,
She must but pause at the door,
As summer dallies in some unknown quest,
And lingers on and on, like an unloved guest

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Bankruptcy of Faith?

Sachin Tendulkar - The Unseen Face

A Travesty of Divine Justice?