A Panic-Stricken Morning

I am baffled why, of a sudden, I remembered that chaotic day in the year 1976, when Sanjay Gandhi's abrupt decision to implement his quixotic scheme of population control set the cat amongst the pigeons in Shillong. I now recall those scenes of mothers of little children rushing out of their homes, some with their hair still wet and unbrushed, and others with attires in disarray, to rescue their children from the  approaching clutches of the supposed agents of government instructed to carry out that unholy commission. I walked to school nevertheless, more excited than scared, owing more to ignorance than bravery, and finding all our friends in the assembly talking about nothing else. I still smile to myself when I think of the grim countenances and sombre mood amongst the students, and a question "what would happen if they catch us?" put to one of our Khasi friends receiving the instant and asseverative reply "la yup" (death) 😄😄

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sachin Tendulkar - The Unseen Face

A Bankruptcy of Faith?

A Travesty of Divine Justice?